Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Stormy Weather

Until about 3 p.m. on Sunday afternoon I thought I had some kind of magical luck with Asturian weather conditions. After being there at Easter when it was one of the few places in the country with good weather, and after a hot sunny Saturday this time, my luck had to give at some point. Try and imagine what it is like to spend 30 minutes fully dressed under a high powered shower (with additional thunder and lightning overhead) and you'll have some idea of just how seriously the Asturian weather took its revenge on us as we made our way down towards the lakes of Covadonga and the safety of the car. I poured water out of my boots after changing and they were still wet when I got home this evening. Yesterday as we made our way along the amazing route that follows the Rio Cares, the storms were a bit kinder on us - just as well, I didn't want to be sliding around in mud with a straight 100 metre drop down to the river just to the side of us. Anyway, I'm going to work on a Google map showing 3 spectacular routes in the Picos de Europa; in the meantime here is a taste of the scenery.



The view from the hotel room in Arenas de Cabrales





El Naranjo de Bulnes and Urriellu




View from the lakes of Covadonga



La Ruta del Cares....just remember not to look down!




Storm clouds gather over the Rio Cares

4 comments:

Katie said...

fantastic! i've only done the ruta del cares in the picos, and it was spectacular. i'll look forward to your map...

Anonymous said...

gorgeous! I'm looking forward to seeing the map.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics. I did the same places about 8 years ago and have longed to go back since. No idea why i haven't, come to think of it!

Graeme said...

Because there are so many other places to go Ben! I neglected Asturias for too long but I'm making up for it this year. I've got a couple of big chunks of Cabrales cheese to show for it - as well as the (still) damp boots and the blisters.